This holiday season (and indeed throughout the winter), reward yourself
with the gift of lower energy bills. And what better time than the high-dollar
heating season to save a few bucks? Following are some time-tested energy-saving
tips for your home:
- Let the sunshine in. Open up blinds, curtains and drapes on sunny days.
Those rooms will warm up several degrees and all for free. Your furnace
or heat pump will thank you for the break. As night falls, close the curtains,
adding a layer of protective insulation against the outside cold.
- Take a step ladder and climb up to your ceiling fan. On its motor housing,
you’ll probably find a switch that will convert the blade rotation
to clockwise (winter mode). That blade rotation forces the air up toward
the ceiling. As a result, the warmer air that collects at the top of a
room moves toward the walls and then down into the room. Family members
feel warmer, and the thermostat won’t trigger furnace operation
as often. That means more savings for you.
- Program your thermostat for the heating season. This means energy-saving
setbacks during the day when nobody’s home and at night when the
household is asleep.
- Seal air leaks in the outside walls of your home with either caulking,
spray foam or (for windows and doors) weatherstripping. Search for the
leaks yourself or hire a certified energy auditor to perform an inspection
and find them for you.
- Upgrade insulation where it’s missing or insufficient. This is another
situation in which an energy audit will help determine where energy is
- Contact your trusted HVAC contractor for a seasonal maintenance tune-up
on your home’s heating system. This will involve an inspection and
various adjustments and other steps to make sure your heating equipment
is operating efficiently and safely, with the performance you expect.
To discuss other ways to obtain lower energy bills in your Hamilton Township
area home, or to schedule a seasonal maintenance tune-up, please contact us at
Elite Air Inc. We have a stellar reputation for HVAC service and installation in Central