Indoor air pollution in the average home is often worse than outside air because pollutants become trapped — exacerbating allergies, eczema, asthma attacks, causing illness, and more. So, it’s understandable that you’re shopping for an air cleaner or air purifier to make your central New Jersey home more healthful.
To decide upon the right system for your needs, it’s first necessary to acknowledge that the terms “air cleaners” and “air purifiers” are interchangeable. Any whole-home or portable unit designed to control airborne contaminants may be referred to as an air cleaner or air purifier. It’s what’s inside that counts!
Exploring Air Cleaning Technologies
Air cleaners (or air purifiers) use different technologies to remove or destroy different types of indoor pollutants. Advanced air cleaners combine different technologies, as follows, to be more effective.
- HEPA: HEPA (High-Efficiency Particulate Air) filters are the most efficient media filters available — removing nearly 100 percent of particles down to 0.3 microns.
- Activated carbon: This filter type uses a chemical reaction to absorb gases, odors, and vapors from the air. It is generally used in conjunction with other technologies, such as HEPA.
- Electrostatic precipitators: Also called electronic air cleaners, this technology charges particles and captures them with oppositely-charged plates. The plates may be washed as needed and reused.
- Charged media: This filter type, like an electronic air cleaner, uses an electrical charge to attract and capture airborne particles and microorganisms. However, some of these filter types may release ozone, which is a known lung irritant.
- Antibacterial: This filter (also called germicidal) removes or destroys airborne germs. HEPA filters may be treated with antibacterial agents, too.
- UV lights: UV (ultra-violet) light systems use short-wave UV light to neutralize airborne microorganisms, such as mold spores and germs.
Whole-house or Portable?
Whole-house air cleaners are installed in your HVAC system. These types are far superior than portable models. It’s like comparing your furnace heating to a portable heater. It’s no contest.
If you need help deciding on an air cleaner with the right technology to clean the air in your central New Jersey home, contact the experts at Elite Air today!