Before buying a new AC unit, it is crucial to check its SEER rating so that you will attain an efficient and reliable air conditioning system for your space.
If you are unaware of what a SEER rating is and why it is so important, here’s more.
What does SEER Rating mean?
The SEER rating of an air conditioning unit refers to its efficiency rating. SEER stands for seasonable energy efficiency rating, whereby the efficiency rating is reflected by the small numbers on the unit.
The SEER rating of an AC unit will indicate a few things:
- How much you should expect to pay per yet for energy costs.
- How long it will take to cool a room.
- How it compares to other units.
How and why to improve your SEER Rating
In 1987, legislation came into place in the US that meant all AC units required a minimum of 10 on the SEER rating. The minimum standards are not set at around 13 to 15, depending on the state you live in. however, it is important to improve your rating so that you do not disobey the legislation. Likewise, it will also ensure that your AC unit is efficient and making the most out of the money that you spend to run it.
It is important to have a good SEER rating for the sake of your energy bills and your money. Therefore, here are some tips for improving your SEER rating:
- Get the AC unit installed by an expert. Installing the AC unit yourself may hinder its ability. Fitting it right will optimize its SEER rating, and therefore, meet the standards as well as optimize your money.
- Clean the system. A dirty system can become less efficient, which will hinder its SEER rating. Therefore, ensure to keep it clean, as well as the air filters, to maintain its SEER rating.
Furthemore, here are some reasons as to why it is important to improve the SEER rating of your AC unit:
- Lower energy bills. The better your AC units SEER rating is, the lower your energy bills will be. A more efficient unit will cost less to run as it will cool a room quicker.
- Better humidity control. An efficient unit will cool a room quicker. Therefore, you will have better control of the humidity and not have to wait hours for it to be withdrawn into the unit.
- Less noise. The more efficient an AC unit is, the less noise it will generate.
- Better for the environment. More efficient AC units with high SEER ratings are better for the environment as they require less energy and therefore, will likely be used on lower settings or for less time.